Being the victim of a crime can be a very traumatic experience. This is particularly true for victims of violent crimes. Victims are faced with financial difficulties, a confusing court system, and possible emotional problems. A Crime Victim Liaison can assist crime victims by alleviating the psychological and emotional trauma incurred as a result of a crime and assist crime victims with the following services.
Victim's Assistance Services
The Victim Assistance Program exists to provide assistance to crime victims and their families. Services provided include:
- Crisis counseling/short term counseling
- Criminal justice support
- Criminal justice system information
- Referral to assigned detectives
- Status of case information
- Information & referral to local social service providers
- Notification & assistance in filing for Crime Victims’ Compensation
- Assistance with evidence return
- Personal advocacy
- Training to law enforcement, community groups and other agencies
Crime Victim's Compensation
Crime Victims’ Compensation is a division of the Attorney General’s Office. The program reimburses innocent victims of violent crime for some out-of pocket expenses they suffer as a result of these crimes:
- Offenses of Assault
- Sexual Assault
- Aggravated Robbery
- Motor Vehicle-Related Crimes
- Other violent crimes in which the victim suffers physical or emotional harm or death
For information about substance abuse services within Tarrant County, please visit the MHMR (My Health My Resources) website.
A Protective Order can deter violence and provide law enforcement and courts additional authority to intervene in family violence cases but it is not a shield that truly stops the next violent act from occurring. A Protective Order may be obtained by filing a Questionnaire with the District Attorney’s office in the county in which you reside. If you are in the process of a divorce, your private attorney must assist you in filing for a Protective Order. The Protective Order can supersede any other court orders currently in place. Law Enforcement can enforce a violation of this Order.
For more information, contact the District Attorney Protective order Unit 817.884.1623.
|HELPFUL PHONE CONTACTS|
|Safe Haven - 24 Hour Hotline||1.877.701.SAFE|
|Rape Crisis - 24 Hour Hotline||817.927.2737|
|Christine Garcia - City of Watauga Crime Victim Liaison||817.514.5794 or by e-mail|