General Guides & Resources
We do not accept unsolicited recommendations for additional links to our website.
If you can't find what you are looking for here, please try another option to the left. A number of websites provide health and medicine information and services that extend across a wide variety of topics. We have attempted to break them down by subject for ease of accessibility.
Texshare resources require your home library's ID and password for access from your home or office. Please call the Reference Desk at 817-514-5865 for the ID if required or you can visit the online catalog, login with your WPL card, select Databases, then TexShare.
The websites listed should not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Consult your health professional for advice relating to a medical problem or condition.
- AHRQ - Resources to educate patients about the purpose of asking relevant questions during visits with the doctor. Includes important questions to ask before, during, and after an appointment, as well as patient and clinical videos. Patients can create and print a custom question list to bring with them to their next appointment.
- AMA DoctorFinder - Find doctors by name or specialty.
- HHS.gov - The U.S. federal government website for information on disability programs and services nationwide.
- FamilyDoctor.org - Health information from the American Academy of Family Physicians.
- Food Timeline - A must for anyone doing culinary research or just interested in the history of food, recipes and food-related subjects. The main time line is updated frequently, and each entry provides links to other sites for additional information.
- Gale Health and Wellness - Available via TexShare databases, this consumer health resource provides information on the full range of health-related issues, from current disease and disorder information to in-depth coverage of alternative medical practices. Please call the Reference Desk at 817-514-5865 for the ID required to access the TexShare databases.
- Gale OneFile Health and Medicine - Available via TexShare databases. Previously known as Health Reference Center Academic. Includes over 2800 journals and magazines, many of which are full text. It contains nursing and allied health journals, other medical journals, newsletters and consumer health magazines. Please call the Reference Desk at 817-514-5865 for the ID required to access the TexShare databases.
- Healthfinder - Consumer health information from the federal government.
- Hospital Compare - Compare the quality of hospital care based on patient surveys.
- Hospital Directory - The U.S. News/American Hospital Association Directory provides key information on over 5,000 hospitals nationwide.
- JPS Health Center at Watauga - JPS Health Network continues to serve the needs of the families in Tarrant County, working to improve health status and access to health care.
- Lab Tests Online - Provides information on lab testing. Consumers can search by name of test, age groups, diseases, the purpose of the test, what is involved, and test result explanations. Tests that are not widely used are included.
- MayoClinic.com - Medical and health information from the Mayo Clinic, a not-for-profit medical practice.
- MedicLatina - (Provided by the Texas State Library's TEXSHARE program.) Full-text Spanish language collection of medical research and investigative journals. You can visit the online catalog, login with your WPL card, select Databases, then TexShare.
- MEDLINE - (Provided by the Texas State Library's TEXSHARE program.) Web database to search for articles in medical journals via PubMed from the National Institutes of Health. You can visit the online catalog, login with your WPL card, select Databases, then TexShare.
- MEDLINEplus: Health Information - Information from the National Library of Medicine, the National Institutes of Health and other trusted sources on over 500 diseases and conditions.
- MEDLINEplus: Informacion de salud - MEDLINEplus es el portal de Internet de la Biblioteca Nacional de Medicina de informacion de salud para el publico. Information is also available in multiple other languages.
- Merck Manual - Online medical manual designed for healthcare professionals but useful for consumer health purposes.
- My Family Health Portrait - Provides consumers with forms to use for personal health record keeping. For personal use only - not a professional health record.
- National Center for Health Statistics FastStats - Provides quick access to statistics on topics of public health importance.
- National Clearinghouse for Long Term Care - Provides information and resources to help you and your family plan for future long-term care.
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse - NGC is a public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- National Institutes of Health - Made up of 27 Institutes and Centers, the NIH is the largest source of funding for medical research in the world. Each institute's web site contains patient education and consumer health resources.
- National Women's Health Information Center - Federal government source for women's health information.
- NIH-National Institute on Aging - The National Institutes of Health NIA leads a broad scientific effort to understand the nature of aging and to extend the healthy, active years of life.
- Nutrient Data Laboratory - Get nutrient information for food.
- Nutrition.gov - Provides government information on food and human nutrition.
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection - (Provided by the Texas State Library's TEXSHARE program.) Full-text coverage of topics such as emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods. You can visit the online catalog, login with your WPL card, select Databases, then TexShare.
- PubMed Central - PubMed Central (PMC) is a free archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM).
- Salud en Espanol - (Provided by the Texas State Library's TEXSHARE program.) Consumer Health Complete database of health information in Spanish. You can visit the online catalog, login with your WPL card, select Databases, then TexShare.
- Tarrant Cares - Online information service for individuals, families, caregivers, and agencies in Tarrant County. Provides local solutions for common health and wellness issues, including mental/behavioral health, seniors/adults with disabilities, military family health, child and family health, and domestic and sexual violence. Consumers can also create personal health records.
- Texas HHS Resources - A guide to services offered to the public by health and human service agencies in Texas. Includes programs and services offered by Texas Health and Human Services Commission, Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, Texas Department of State Health Services, Texas Workforce Commission, and Texas Education Agency.