A driving safety course can be taken to keep a violation off your record.
If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to ask the Judge to take a driving safety course to dismiss the charge. The request must be made before the appearance date on the citation. You may request to take a driving safety course in person at 7105 Whitley Road Watauga, TX 76148.
You are eligible to take a Driving Safety Course if you:
- Have not taken a driving safety course for a traffic offense within the last 12 months in the State of Texas
- Are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation
- Have not committed the offense of speeding 25 mph over the posted speed limit or 15 mph over in a school zone
- Did not have a commercial driver's license on the date of the violation
- Have not committed one of the following offenses:
- Failure to give information at the scene of an accident
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer
- Reckless driving
- Passing a school bus
- A serious traffic violation, which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators
- An offense in a construction maintenance zone when workers are present
You must make a request to the Court for a driving safety course PRIOR to taking any classes.
You will have 90 days from the date of the request to submit the certificate from the driving safety course as well as your driving record as maintained by the Texas DPS. The driving safety course must be approved by the Texas Education Agency and a motorcycle operator's course must be approved by the Department of Public Safety.