City Secretary's Office
The position of City Secretary is a statutory position required by State Law. In compliance with the City of Watauga Home Rule Charter, the City Secretary is appointed by City Council and is an officer of the City. The City Secretary is under the exclusive direction and supervision of the City Council, and is charged with carrying out the duties established by the Home Rule Charter and local ordinances, as well as applicable state and federal laws.
Zolaina Parker was appointed in July 2012. Her previous experience with the City of Watauga includes one year as Assistant City Secretary from 2011 - 2012 and five years as Records Clerk with the Watauga Police Department from 2006 - 2011.
Education and Professional Organizations
- University of North Texas, Texas Registered Municipal Clerk
- North Texas Municipal Clerks Association (NTMCA)
- Texas Municipal Clerks Association (TMCA)
- International Institute of Municipal Clerks (IIMC), Certified Municipal Clerk
- National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators (NAGARA)
The Mission of the City Secretary's Office is to ensure continuity in the municipal legislative process through the guardianship of City Council agendas, minutes, ordinances, resolutions, board appointments and elections, as well as to promote quality and transparent customer service in a cost effective and efficient manner.
The position of City Secretary is a statutory position required by State law
The City Secretary's duties consists of:
- serving as the Elections administrator for the City;
- properly giving notice of and attending all official public meetings of the City Council;
- serving as the primary point of contact for citizens wishing to address concerns or complaints regarding City Services;
- providing staff support to the City Council;
- preparing and distributing City Council agenda and support material;
- attending every meeting of the City Council and keeping accurate minutes of the proceedings of the City Council;
- administering oaths of office;
- validating and certifying petitions;
- coordinating the appointment process to the City's boards, committees, and commissions;
- accepting lawsuits and claims filed against the City;
- managing publication of legal notices, such as notices of public hearings, requests for bids and notices of elections;
- managing, coordinating and processing all amendments to the City Charter and the City Code of Ordinances;
- serving as the Records Management Officer for the City;
- serving as custodian of all official records of the City Council, including agendas, minutes, ordinances, resolutions, contracts, deeds, etc., as well as agendas and minutes of the various Boards, Commissions and Committees of the City;
- serving as the primary resource from which a citizen can obtain public information under the Public Information Act;
- serving as the official keeper of the City Seal, and issuing all proclamations and certificates on behalf of the City;
- managing, processing and issuing Alcoholic Beverage Permits; and Massage Establishment Permits
- overseeing and managing all liability and property insurance coverage and claims for the City.