Public Information Request
Texas Government Code, Chapter 552, gives you the right to access government records. All government information is presumed to be available to the public. Certain exceptions and costs may apply to the disclosure of the information. Per Chapter 552, Governmental bodies shall promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, either constitutional, statutory, or by judicial decision; or information for which an exception to disclosure has not been sought. The Public Information Act is published by the Texas Attorney General's Office.
Request for public information must be typed or written and may be submitted to the
City Secretary's Office via:
City Secretary, 7105 Whitley Road, Watauga, Texas 76148
Online Form:Public Information Request Form
State Form: Fillable PDF
In person City Secretary's Office, 7105 Whitley Road, Watauga, Texas 76148
Right of Requester
You have the right to the following:
- Prompt access to information that is not confidential or otherwise protected.
- Receive treatment equal to all other
requesters, including accommodation in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.
- Receive certain kinds of information without exceptions, like the voting record of public officials, and other information.
- Receive a written statement of estimated charges, when charges will exceed $40.00, in advance of work being started and opportunity to modify the request in response to the itemized statement.
- Choose whether to inspect the requested information (most often at no charge), receive copies of the information or both.
- A waiver or reduction of charges if the governmental body determines that access to the information primarily benefits the general public.
- Receive a copy of the communication from the governmental body asking the Office of the Attorney General for a ruling on whether the information can be withheld under one of the accepted exceptions, or if the communication discloses the requested information, a redacted copy.
- Lodge a written complaint about overcharges for public information with the General Services Commission. Complaints of other possible violations may be filed with the county or district attorney of the county where the governmental body, other than a state agency, is located. If the complaint is against the county or district attorney, the complaint must be filed with the Office of the Attorney General.
Responsibilities of Government Bodies
All governmental bodies responding to information requests have the responsibility to:
- Establish reasonable procedures for inspecting or copying public information and inform
requestersof these procedures.
- Treat all
requestersuniformly and shall give to the requesterall reasonable comfort and facility, including accommodation in accordance with ADA requirements.
- Be informed about open records laws and educate employees on the requirements of those laws.
requestersof the estimated charges greater than $40 and any changes in the estimates above 20 percent of the original estimate, and confirm that the requesteraccepts the charges, or has amended the request, in writing before finalizing the request.
- Inform the requester if the information cannot be provided promptly and set a date and time to provide it within a reasonable time.
- Request a ruling from the Office of the Attorney General regarding any information the governmental body wishes to withhold, and send a copy of the request for ruling, or a redacted copy, to the requester.
- Segregate public information from information that may be withheld and provide that public information promptly.
- Make a good faith attempt to inform third parties when their proprietary information is being requested from the governmental body.
- Respond in writing to all written communications from the General Services Commission regarding charges for the information. Respond to the Office of the Attorney General regarding complaints about violations of the Act.
Per the Texas Administrative Code, the City of Watauga may charge for public information request. If the estimated costs exceed $50, the City of Watauga may request a deposit, prepayment or bond.
For more information on
|1. Standard paper copy up to 8½” x 14”
2. Nonstandard copy
(b) Magnetic Tape
(c) Data Cartridge
(d) Tape Cartridge
(e) VHS Video Cassette
(f) Audio Cassette
(g) Paper 11" x 17"
(i) Blueline/Blueprint Paper
(k) CD-R or CD-RW
3. Personnel charge
(a) Programming Personnel
(b) Other Personnel
4. Overhead charge
5. Micro Fiche/Film
6. Remote document retrieval charge
7. Computer resource
(d) PC or LAN
8. Miscellaneous supplies
9. Postage & shipping charge
11. Fax charge
(B) Long distance, same area code
(C) Long distance, different area code
12. Other costs
| @ $ .10 per page
@ $1.00 each
@ $ 2.50 each
@ $ 1.00 each
@ $ .50 each
@ $ 3.00 each
@ $ 1.00 each
@ $28.50 per hour
@ $15.00 per hour
20% of personnel charge
@ $10.00 per minute
@ $ 1.50 per minute
@ $ 2.20 per hour
@ $ 1.00 per hour
@ $ .10 per page
@ $ .50 per page
@ $1.00 per page