We do not accept unsolicited recommendations for additional links to our website.
Books and Stories
- Children's Literature Awards - Learn about the Caldecott Medal, the Newbery Award, and other literary honors awarded by the American Library Association.
- Choose an Author - Children’s authors and illustrators on the web, alphabetical list, sites maintained by authors, fans, scholars, and/or readers.
- International Children's Digital Library - Read free children's books written in many different languages.
- PBS Parents Bookfinder - Search for recommended children's books by age of child and theme.
- Story Place Pre-school Library - Beginning reading stories and activities.
- Storyline Online - Watch and listen to well-known actors read some of your favorite stories.
Authors and Illustrators
- Audrey Wood - Games, coloring pages, and information about where Wood gets her ideas for books.
- Avi - Avi is the author of more than 60 books for children and young adults, including Newbery Award-winning Crispin.
- Barbara Park - Author of the Junie B. Jones series.
- Beverly Cleary - Beverly Cleary is an American author of more than 30 books for young adults and children.
- Colin Thompson - An English writer of children's books, science fiction, and fantasy.
- Dav Pilkey - Dav Pilkey has written and illustrated numerous popular, award-winning books for children, including the Captain Underpants and Dumb Bunnies series.
- Eric Carle - An American designer, illustrator, and writer of children's books. He is most famous for The Very Hungry Caterpillar, a picture book with few words that has been translated into more than 58 languages.
- Gary Paulsen - An American writer of young adult literature, best known for coming of age stories about the wilderness.
- J.K. Rowling - British novelist best known as the author of the Harry Potter fantasy series.
- Jan Brett - Links to coloring pages, Brett’s biography, a contest page, and more.
- John Erickson - Hank the Cow Dog home page with a biography of the author, explore the ranch, play games, read Letters to Hank.
- Lemony Snicket - This site is dreadful, vile, and full of whimsical fun for fans of the Unfortunate Events.
- Pat Mora - A Texas native, author of books and poetry for children and young adults.
- Patricia Polacco - Patricia Barber Polacco is the author and illustrator of numerous picture books for children. She struggled in school because she was unable to read until age 14 due to dyslexia; she found relief by expressing herself through art.
- Rosemary Wells - Includes an author biography, activities, coloring pages, games, and postcards.
- Sandra Boyton - Links to games, book listings, music!
History and Government
- American Memory - Over seven million digital items from maps and photos, to audio and video. Library of Congress site.
- America's Story - American history from Colonial Times to the present. Library of Congress site.
- Ben’s Guide to U.S. Government for Kids - Teaches kids from kindergarten through 12th grade about the federal government, from the U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Congress for Kids - Learn the basics of the Federal Government with Uncle Sam.
- Encyclopedia Smithsonian - From Art to Zoo, the Smithsonian has something to interest kids and students of all ages.
- First Gov for Kids - Sites on many topics maintained by many areas of the Federal Government.
- Mayflower History - The site includes a complete passenger list, and Pilgrim history.
- Presidents of the United States - In this resource you will find background information, election results, cabinet members, notable events, and some points of interest on each of the presidents. Links to biographies, historical documents, audio and video files, and other presidential sites are also included.
- Texas Online - Official State site with links to government links and other Texas sites.
- Texas Senate Kids - Play games, explore the Texas Capitol, and learn all about your state government.
- U.S. Census: Kid's Corner - Use the U.S. Census Kids' Corner to find popular facts (population, income, etc.) and frequently requested data about your community.
- Between the Lions - Early literacy site, for children ages 4-7, with appealing characters, songs and games.
- Fun Brain Games - Play fun and fast-paced games to learn different subjects.
- Funology - Tons of awesome stuff to explore! Jokes, games, magic tricks, trivia, and much more.
- Lego - Play games, watch fun animations and build cool things.
- NASA Kids - Educational video segments to inspire and engage students.
- National Geographic Kids - The world on-line for kids including games, videos, info on animals and pets, photos, countries, news, and a lot of fun stuff for kids.
- PBS Kids - Educational games to get kids ready for school.
- Seussville - Games based on the famous Dr. Seuss books.
- UpToTen - A fun place to learn on-line with over 1,300 games and activities.
- AAA Math - AAA Math features a comprehensive set of interactive arithmetic lessons. Unlimited practice is available on each topic. Also available in Spanish.
- Brainfuse HelpNow - for Watauga Public Library cardholders. Get live homework help, skills surfer, writing lab and much more! Live help available Monday-Sunday, 2pm - 11pm.
- CIA World FactBook - The World FactBook provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities.
- CyberBee - Homework links for kids, parents and teachers.
- Discovery Homework Help - Create your own word puzzles and math games.
- Dr. Math - Ask Dr. Math is a question and answer service for math students and their teachers.
- InfoPlease Homework Help - Infoplease is the world's largest free reference site. Encyclopedia, Dictionary, Almanacs, and Homework Help on English, math, history, geography, and science.
- IXL Math - IXL provides comprehensive, standards-aligned math and language arts practice for K-12.
- Math.com - Offers free math lessons and homework help, with an emphasis on geometry, algebra, statistics, and calculus. Also provides calculators and games.
- Math is fun - Math explained in easy language, plus puzzles, games, quizzes, worksheets and a forum. For K-12 kids, teachers and parents.
- ICTgames - This is a fun phonics site that explores the reading process through the use of games. The site is geared toward PK-2nd.
- SoftSchools - This is a terrific site to help learners from Pre-K through Middle School develop a strong reading sense.
- Starfall - A free website to teach children to read with phonics. For preschool, kindergarten, and first grade. Exciting phonics games and online interactive books.
- Teach Your Monster to Read - This is a series of free games to practice the first stages of reading. Combining top quality games design with essential learning, the game is built on the principles of synthetic phonics and follows the teaching sequence of the Letters and Sounds program.
- Brainy Kids Online - Fun experiments and computer games.
- Discovery School Science Fair Central - Fun science projects, questions & answers, and web links.
- Kids Science--PBS - Cool exploration, hot music, and of course, science! DragonflyTV is packed with hands-on investigations.
- The Science Explorer - Activities that get messy, airborne, loud and will shock you!
- Science Fair Project Resource Guide - The IPL’s Science Fair Project Resource Guide will help you through a science project with a variety of excellent web resources.
Search the Web
- Great Web Sites for Kids - These sites are recommended for preschool through junior high aged children and their parents. Suggested sites are evaluated by the Great Websites for Kids Committee using established selection criteria. The committee is made up of members of the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association.
- Kid Rex - Safe Search for kids, by kids.
- KidsClick! - A Web directory and search engine created by librarians.
Texas Reading ListsTexas 2 X 2 Reading List
Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List
Lone Star Reading List
Maverick Reading List
TAYHAS Reading List